Floating Wall Shelf

Today I'm sharing another fun project I created for my new craft room.  Right now it doesn't look like much but once I decorate my room it's going to be a wall shelf.
I first came across this idea in one of my Facebook groups when another member was sharing how she decked out her bathroom in a Harry Potter theme.  So many members loved her floating shelves and wanted to know how they were made so a short video was created and shared here.
 
In a nutshell, you start out with a paper mache book which can be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  The ones at Michaels are a bit fancier like the one used in the video but since I was at Hobby Lobby for other items that's where I purchased mine.  After handwriting the name of my book on the spine I traced back over it with hot glue.  I even added a couple of skeleton buttons that I had in my stash for a little extra effect.
 
On the 'inside' of the book where the pages are located you will need to glue a strip of thin wood like balsa wood so that it fills in the gap between the pages and the outer edge.  This is where you are going to insert the nails or screws for hanging your book to the wall.
 
As the glue dried I gathered my paints.  I used a burnt umber for the base coat, covering the entire box inside and out.  After the first coat dried, a second one was applied.  After the second coat dried, I came back and dry brushed over the outside of the box with a white paint.  I then used a bright red metallic paint for a second dry brush to help mute the white.  Once the paint was dry I sealed the box with a spray laquer I had on hand, but mod podge or another sealant can also be used.
 
Pretty neat huh?  Now I just need to make a couple more.

 

1 comments:

Scrapper69 said...

OKay... that is really COOL!! I LOVE the way you did the writing on the book... it really looks real... OMGOSH.. your craft room is so gonna be AWWESOME!

Theresa
Theresa’s Crafty Creations