Potion Bottles

My husband and I have started scouring the antique stores in search of items that will compliment our Harry Potter collection.  Thus far we've found a courting candle and snuffer, a set of 1880's French Pathologie books, a set of eyeglasses (not sure of the time period), skeleton keys, apothecary bottles, and a 19th century ebonised scale.  

Today I'm sharing with you, three apothecary bottles we found that I turned into potion bottles for my collection.  The large bottle on the left has a glass lid which we fell in love with.  It's the first one we saw like that that was not a perfume bottle.  The store had a couple of them but I purchased only this one and now I wish I'd grabbed another one or two.  A different store had the other two. 

The small snuff jar was missing it's lid as were all the snuff jars we saw.  Fortunately the craft stores sell an assortment of corks.  After finding the right sized cork I used my distress inks and inked the cork then gently roughed it up by rubbing it across some pavers.

The bottle on the right had a cork top that was cut up so I got the idea to alter it by adding hot glue around the neck of the bottle.  Then I thought about adding a bead to the top and searched through my drawers until I found this last flat bottomed one in my stash.  After the hot glue dried I painted the glue and bead in a chocolate brown metallic color.

The labels are ones that I found doing a google search.  I wadded them up and then brushed across them with my distressed ink.  I then ran them through my Xyron creative station and adhered them to the bottles.  After that I added twine to the large bottle along with one of the Tim Holtz Crossbones adornments.  On the Amortentia potion I added a flat backed heart I found during Valentines.

Now I need to find a small cauldron, beakers, test tubes and other odds and ends to complete my collection.

1 comments:

Scrapper69 said...

These look so realistic! Your creativity amazes me when your altering something.... They look really cool! Keep up those wonderful finds...

Theresa
Theresa’s Crafty Creations